Monday, August 11, 2008

I FOUND A DRESS!!

Saturday marked shopping trip number two for mom and me. Since we had ruled out the entire Rockaway Mall, we decided to head over to Shorthills. Our first stop was Neiman Marcus, which was an experience all in itself. We were told that "some dresses could be found on the second floor, and couture was on the third." Well, after trying on three dresses that looked excellent on the hanger and horrible on me, (and here I was thinking that wasn't possible) we decided that we would move on. It was at this point that I, in my blue jeans and black t-shirt, demanded that we go to the couture floor. When mom expressed her worry that they would "look down on us," I told her the best way to assert your position as a customer of stature was to pick up the most expensive dress she could find and say, "well, I like it, but I already have one at home in blue." I forgot to tell her to add on "and I bought it last year. I suppose vintage is in right now." (That last part obviously needs to be said in the most condescending tone possible.)


Upon arriving at the couture floor we were greeted by the lovely scent of funeral home (it was the lillies. Lots and lots of lillies.) and decided that the smell was just too much. After doing a brisk walk around the floor, we left, fairly unimpressed with the clothes. The personal style assistant offices, mahogany desks and important looking old ladies were fairly impressive, however.

The DAR would like to formally extend
to you an invitation to Sunday brunch.





I tried on a few cocktail dresses and a few gowns, nothing
leaving all that big of an impression. You can look at picture of two of the more humorous cocktail dresses, with my always witty comments ... well, around. Who knows where they'll end up in the final formatting.



This dress will get all the guys.
It gives the illusion of birthing hips.

I tried on a dress by Sue Wong that I loved, with the exception of the fact that it was just a tad too short. We decided to remember the designer name and try another store. As luck would have it, I found another dress by Sue Wong and although it's not quite perfect, it's extremely close. Unfortuantely, one sales associate saw my in the dress and then proceeded to put me on display for two other associates. And as if that wasn't enough, she then showed me off to two other customers. Even thinking about how awkward this was annoys me and I'm unable to think of anything funny to say about it.





The good news is that we ended up buying the dress. Because I love my loyal readers all so much, I even risked the elements and a drooly dog to take pictures to post on here. You're welcome. Close up of the beading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the view that shows the price tag that you tucked neatly into the dress....nice.