Tuesday, May 20, 2008

"So, tell me about yourself"

Since submitting my application, the pageant has sort of slipped to the back of my mind. At least it did, until today, when I finally received that phone interview I was hoping for. The woman on the other end was unnecessarily perky, and a bit overly enthusiastic, but honestly, that was probably to be expected. The interview was short, but she managed to ask two killer questions: "Why do you want to be in the Miss NJ USA pageant" (I should have been prepared for that one. Mental note: think up a better answer to that so I'll be ready for next time. I'm sure this isn't the last I've heard from that question.) and "Tell me about yourself." The latter wasn't so much a question as a terrifyingly vague command, to which I responded with my usual grace and poise "wow, talk about a broad question." (Mental note number 2: work on poise before pageant weekend.) I then proceeded to babble something about biology, pre-med, improv, and ADPi, and despite the poor rating I gave myself on my interview skills, the woman on the other end seemed not to mind. (I like to think she found my stuttering endearing.) The call ended with an invitation to compete in the Miss NJ USA pageant on October 17-19 at the Parsippany Hilton hotel.

I'll tell my mom right after I update my Facebook status. As usual, I have my priorities right in line.

No comments: